There are many different ways as to how and why radon can enter your home. Radon is a highly toxic and very dangerous gas that is radioactive. It is naturally occurring from the breakdown of uranium and comes up through the ground, entering your house or commercial building. There, it can pool up in large amounts and create a very toxic environment that is horrible for your health.
This is terrible for your health as it will get into your body and alter your DNA or create chronic problems with your body that can lead to serious health problems such as cancers. In fact, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States, second only to smoking cigarettes. Radon can be mitigated and it is important to enlist someone to take care of your radon abatement needs for you in order to ensure that you are living in a healthy environment.
There are many ways as to how radon can enter into your home in the first place. Listed here are several of the many ways as to how radon can enter your home and why you may need radon reduction systems:
- Soil. It can enter your home through the soil. This is dangerous as soil is underneath the foundation in your home. This means that radon is sitting under your house at all times if you are in a radon zone, waiting to get inside.
- Cracks in foundation. It can enter from the soil and go into the cracks in your foundation. This is also dangerous as you may not know that you have cracks in your foundation or know that it is entering your home in the first place.
- Private water wells. It can also enter your home through private water well as it can accumulate underground and enter your water sources this way as well.
- Water. It can also come inside through outside water sources and get into your home.
- Outside air. Even the air can bring radon inside.
As you can see, there are many different ways as to how radon can get into your home. There are also many ways as to how radon can stay in your home. If you suspect that you have a radon problem in your home or if you have never had your home tested for radon, then you will want to be sure that you hire a certified residential technician to check out your home for you. They can come in and test your home for radon while also assessing the levels of radon in your home. If you have radon in your home, then they can make a radon reduction system for you and can help you mitigate the radon as soon as possible.
If you need the right company to call in order to help you with your needs, then you will want to reach out to the experts over at SWAT Environmental. They can help you mitigate all of your radon and allow you to live in a safe and secure environment.