My husband had taken our two sons on their first overnight camping trip, and came back yesterday tired, dirty, and happy. The boys fell sound asleep early, while Josh filled me in on their couple of days out at the camp site. I had enjoyed some time to myself while they were gone, but I was glad to have all of my boys back at home. I had missed them, and of course, I worried a little bit, too.
My husband had taken a lot of insect repellent with them but they had all gotten some bug bites anyway. When the boys woke up the next morning, Caleb was scratching at one bite in particular that seemed to look different than the others, and was redder, bigger, and more swollen. As the morning progressed, it seemed to get bigger and bigger, and I worried about whether he might be having an allergic reaction to his bug bite, whatever it was. We thought maybe it was a spider bite instead of the mosquito bite we initially thought it was, and it seemed to be really bothering him. Since it was a Sunday and the pediatrician’s office was not open, I decided to take Caleb into Urgent Care Extra Las Vegas, which was not too far away and open on weekends.
By the time we got to Urgent Care Extra Las Vegas, it was clear that he was having some sort of reaction. He was breathing okay but the bump had doubled in size and was becoming painful, instead of just scratchy. The staff at Urgent Care Extra Las Vegas gave me some paperwork to fill out and promised there would not be a long wait. There were only a couple of other people in the waiting room, and while Caleb seemed uncomfortable, I could tell he was not in serious danger. I filled out the paperwork and tried to talk to him at the same time to distract him from his bite. It worked for a few minutes, and then he went back to fussing at it.
The nurse who took us back about twenty minutes later was fabulous. In less than a minute she had Caleb laughing and completely distracted while she inspected the bite. She agreed that it looked like he was having a reaction but it was unclear whether he was allergic to it, or whether he was just having a normal reaction to what was a different kind of bite. When the doctor finally came in, he looked at it for about a minute and asked Caleb a few questions. He decided that in fact Caleb had likely been bitten by a spider. This seemed like a perfectly normal reaction to some of the spiders we have in the desert out here, and he recommended some children’s Benadryl and a long nap for him. If it had not gone down in size or swelling within twelve hours, they told us to bring him right back. We need not have worried: after some Benadryl and sleeping away most of the day, he woke up a couple of hours ago and it is almost completely back to normal.